24 November 1940

24 November 1940

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

24 November 1940




Slovakia, created out of Czechoslovakia, joins the Tripartite Pact (Germany, Italy and Japan)

The Blitz

Luftwaffe bombs Bristol

Wheels West Day in Susanville History – November 24th, 1940

Speaking of turkeys, Jay Gibson of the B. F. Gibson ranch, Litchfield, Calif., who was mentioned a few weeks ago with an account of his huge flock of 6,800 turkeys, is getting good prices now.

Susanville, the nearest market, will probably handle a large quantity of them. Butcher shops there are selling birds for a few cents more than those in Reno, proving that small local markets generally hold up so the local producer can make some money.

Reno’s general retail price is 26 cents for prime hens, 21 cents for prime toms Susanville prices are 28 cents for prime hens and 22 cents for prime toms.

Gibson says there is a daily loss in his flocks, due to continual milling and fighting among the birds. It is also stated that, due to the large number of people who have traveled to Litchfield to see them, they have become nervous, with the result that they would start to fight, run over each other, some of them getting killed, or crippled beyond market value, which is a warning to turkey farmers to keep their flock far from public view.

24 November 1940 - the First Great Blitz on Bristol

Sunday 24th. November 1940, the first great blitz on Bristol.

I was nearly five years? old at the time and living with my mother, father and younger sister in a second floor flat at No. 52, Park Street, adjacent to the city centre.
Although I was so young, I remember vividly most of the events of that night and the following day.
When the sirens sounded, I, my mother, sister and an aunt who was staying with us made our way to the cellar of the building, below the shop. My father was in the A.R.P. at Avonmouth, about twelve miles away (?). Mother refused to go down into the cellar itself, instead she insisted on us standing at the top, just inside the cellar door, a decision which almost certainly saved our lives. We were joined by the two ladies who lived in the flat above us, (I can?t remember if there was anyone else there from the other floor(s).
I don?t remember hearing the first H.E. bomb before it hit our building, perhaps I did, but did not comprehend what it meant. The next thing I remember was the taste and feel of what I thought at the time was coal dust, more probably stone dust in my mouth. It was totally dark and I could feel rubble all around and above me. Then I could hear someone say, ?We must shout for help? which we did but none came. I don?t think anyone appeared to panic, total shock I expect. It was suggested that one of us must get out and fetch help. Then another voice, I think it was my mother?s because I remember how calm she sounded, quite unlike her usual panicky self, suggest that they push me up as I was small and could climb through small spaces in the rubble. The adult, whose hand I was holding, must have helped move enough masonry for me to wriggle upwards because I found myself with my head and shoulders above the ruins. I saw in the light of the fire the disabled man from further down the street attempting to climb over what remained of the back wall. Then another H.E. bomb fell directly on the building and the remaining walls collapsed on top of us. I could hear my mother call to me, she sounded a long way underneath me but still very calm, wanting to know if I was alright. I can?t remember my reply or my emotions. We were told afterwards that we were buried for two and a half hours before we were dug out. I was not told what happened to that very brave man with one leg. As I was closer to the surface than the others I was lifted out first and handed to a sailor who took me down to the bottom of Park street to a flat above a very posh jewellers shop opposite College Green. I remember being covered in dirt and grit and refusing vehemently to be undressed and cleaned up! So brown paper was laid on a settee and I lay on that. I remember the sound the grit made on the paper whenever I moved. Next morning I was taken out by the young daughter of the family up and down Park street to see if anyone recognized me. I think it was the day after that a Mrs. Beecham, who worked at the Folk House with my parents, saw me and eventually I was reunited with my father, (my mother and sister had been taken to Bristol Royal Infirmary)
I think my father must have suffered the most. The fires and flames of the centre of Bristol burning could be seen from Avonmouth and of course he was not allowed to leave before his duty ended. He got back to Bristol the next morning to find his home gone and his eldest daughter missing.
Two or so days later the shop safe was recovered from the cellar. We were told that the coins inside were still red hot! If we had sheltered down there we would have been burnt alive.

© Copyright of content contributed to this Archive rests with the author. Find out how you can use this.

This story has been placed in the following categories.

Most of the content on this site is created by our users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of any external sites referenced. In the event that you consider anything on this page to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please click here. For any other comments, please Contact Us.

Share All sharing options for: A Day In Wrigley Field History: November 24, 1940

Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images

I would have very much liked to write about the Bears' 73-0 win over the Washington Redskins in the NFL championship game in 1940. That was an NFL record for points, and margin of victory, and 73 years later, it still is.

Unfortunately, that game was played in Washington, not in Wrigley Field. And since this is a history of Wrigley Field events, you'll have to settle for a review of the game that put the Bears within one game of clinching a spot in that title game, a 47-25 win over the Cleveland Rams two weeks earlier, on November 24. Yes, "Cleveland" Rams -- the Rams have had quite the odyssey, moving to Los Angeles in 1946 and then to St. Louis in 1995.

George Strickler recapped the game in the Tribune:

Sound a bit familiar? (This year for the Bears, it's run defense.)

After the Rams scored that first touchdown, the Bears rattled off 30 unanswered points, seven of which came on a 74-yard pass from Sid Luckman to Ken Kavanaugh. Luckman wasn't the only passer that day -- Bernie Masterson threw two touchdown passes, and the pair combined for a 10-for-21 day with 295 total yards, the three TD passes and one interception.

We'd take that from today's Bears, I think.

Since that 1940 game, the Bears have scored 47 or more points 26 other times in the intervening 73 years -- about once every three years. But of those games, 13 of them were in the 1940s, and just seven of them have been since 1965. The Bears just haven't been an offensive-minded team in recent years.

Finally, the 20,717 was a typical crowd in those days -- even though the Bears were a very good team. Pro football hadn't quite come into its own as a popular spectator sport. That wouldn't happen for almost two more decades it would have to wait until television broadcast games nationally.

This Day in Weather History: November 24th

  • Publications
  • Blog
  • Aviation Weather
  • Observations
  • Weather Briefing
  • Winter Weather
  • Enhanced Hazardous Weather Outlook
  • Skyscanner
  • Weather Radio
  • COOP Program
  • Text Products
  • Top News Archives
  • Travel Forecast
  • About Our Office

On This Day In

Weather History

November 24th

Local and Regional Events:

November 24, 1993:

A major slow-moving storm system traveled across the upper Midwest during the Thanksgiving holiday, dumping heavy snow across most of South Dakota and Minnesota from November 24 through the 27th. The highest snowfall amounts of two to three feet occurred in northeast South Dakota. Over a foot of snow accumulated in west central Minnesota, and needless to say, travel became tough across the entire area. Storm total snowfall amounts included 31.8 inches at Westport, 29.5 inches at Leola, 28 inches at Britton, 25.3 inches at Aberdeen, 24.3 inches at Mellette, 24.0 inches at McLaughlin, and 22.0 inches near Victor. The snowfall of 25.3 inches at Aberdeen was a single storm record (that still stands today), and it made November 1993 one of the snowiest months on record in Aberdeen with a total of 30.1 inches of snowfall. Only three months have recorded more snow: November 1898, February 1915, and November 2000. The storm closed numerous schools and offices on November 24th across the area, resulting in an early start to the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Some freezing rain and freezing drizzle preceded the snowstorm in southeast South Dakota from late on the 23rd to the 24th, causing at least 60 vehicle accidents. The heavy snow also clogged roads, causing vehicles to become stuck and resulting in numerous accidents. As a consequence of the heavy snow, low wind chills, and low visibilities, a 23-year old man was stranded in his pickup truck in a snow bank north of Aberdeen for 18 hours on the 23rd and 24th. The weight of snow collapsed many structures in northeast South Dakota from the 25th to the 26th. The roof of a metal barn collapsed two miles northwest of Aberdeen, killing one dairy cow in the barn. In Castlewood, a 100-foot by 40-foot metal pole shed fell in, causing damage to a grain truck inside. A machine shed also caved in on a farm east of Bowdle. During the afternoon of the 26th, part of the roof and wall of the Roscoe Senior Center collapsed, causing a near-total loss to the building. Strong northwest winds followed the snowstorm in western and central South Dakota, causing considerable blowing and drifting snow and wind chills as low as 50 degrees below zero. In North Dakota, over two feet of snow fell over a large part of central and southeastern portions of the state. Most of North Dakota had over a foot of snow from this storm. The greatest snowfall amount was reported at Oakes, in Dickey County where 31 inches fell. At the National Weather Service office in Bismarck, 28.3 inches of snow were measured during the 108-hour snow event. This amount set a new single storm record for snow in Bismarck. The snow began the evening on the 22nd and did not end until the morning of the 27th. Except for about six hours during the day on the 26th, the snow was continuous through this period. Fortunately, the wind was only 10 to 25 mph during this storm, so it was well below blizzard conditions and blowing and drifting of snow was not a problem.

U.S.A and Global Events for November 24th:

1863: The "battle above the clouds" was fought on Lookout Mountain near Chattanooga. Pre-frontal clouds obscured the upper battlefield aiding a Union victory.

In 1864 artist James Walker completed a painting commissioned by the federal government of the action of November 24, 1863, which he called "The Battle of Lookout Mountain." Today the painting hangs in the Visitors Center near the entrance to Point Park.

1982: Hurricane Iwa, a Category 1 hurricane, impacted the Hawaii Islands of Ni'ihau, Kaua'i, and O'ahu with gusts exceeding 100 mph and a storm surge of 30 feet. The first significant hurricane to hit the Hawaiian Islands since statehood in 1959, Iwa severely damaged or destroyed 2,345 buildings, including 1,927 houses, leaving 500 people homeless. Damage throughout the state totaled $312 ($765 million 2015 USD). One person was killed from the high seas, and three deaths were indirectly related to the hurricane's aftermath.

The image above is Hurricane Iwa passing near the Hawaiian Islands on November 24, 1982. The image is courtesy of NASA.

Hurricane Iwa storm track.

Click HERE for more This Day in Weather History from the Southeast Regional Climate Center.

November 24th 1940: A Minor Incident at St Francis, Bristol


It was normal on a Sunday evening in those far off days before the Second World War for my parents to take me to visit relations who lived in a cluster in the streets leading off Greenway Bush Lane, Ashton Gate, Bristol, the focus being my Granny Britton’s home who lived in Mary St..(It was very amusing to hear her garbled version of the crisscross chatter of my Aunts and Uncles !)
Sunday , November 24th., 1941 only varied in as much as my Father had to continue to Home Guard duty in a building at the end of Duckmoor Rd.. Ashton Gate. I can still clearly see the clock at ten minutes past six as we set out from our home in St Dunstan’s Rd, (off Bedminster Rd.) and at the same time the air raid sirens sounding. The warnings had been quite often at that time and we did not pay much attention to them. However as we proceeded over Bartlett’s Bridge, the searchlights were probing the skies, and obviously it was more serious than usual. As we got to West St. we decided to go into a brick built shelter in Ireton Rd. but as things became quieter for a moment we set off again, noticing that fires were burning towards the centre of Bristol. As we reached the end of The Chessels, and into Luckwell Rd. I can remember seeing a German Bomber held in the searchlights. The situation was deteriorating by the minute and so we hurried down North St. to go into the brick shelter which stood on the grass in front of St Francis Church. The shelter’s entrance was end on to the road, and the other end was more or less facing the Chancel end of the Church.
The situation by this time, was very bad, we could hear explosions coming from near and far as the bombs rained down, and I presume some anti-aircraft gunfire. At every crunch we would winch, until there was a tremendous bang, which shook the shelter, loosened the dust in the walls and the ceiling and made the thirty or so people in the shelter cower with fear. After several hours, as it was a lot quieter outside my Father was able to continue to his Home Guard duties.
The quieter situation also meant that a tram driver and conductor were able to go and inspect their tram which had been left in the road outside.. When they returned, they showed a lump of masonry of several bricks still cemented together which they had found crashed onto the top deck of the tram. We also learnt that the tremendous explosion had been a bomb destroying several houses opposite the Church Hall in Durnford Avenue, which runs along the lower side of the Church property. The masonry on the tram had been hurled over the Church Hall and over the Church onto the tram!
The All Clear sounded just after midnight, so Mother and I continued to Walter St. about 300 yds away (the house where I was born) to find that the old house was still standing but badly shaken, dust, plaster and glass every where, but the family was safe. That was more than could be said for an old man who insisted on seeing the blitz through, sat in his fireside chair at home in Peter St. (no longer on the map). That is where they found him dead, in the rubble of his home. My cousin and I saw that destruction and also as we went to the top of Greenway Bush Lane we saw the fires burning in the timber yards on the other side of The Cut.
That piece of masonry flying over the top of the Church was a very MINOR INCIDENT to that which happened a few months later, when the Church was destroyed. To me all these years later it is still a very vivid memory and when I am in that area I very often wonder what if……? what if that bomb which hit Durnford Avenue had been released a second earlier or perhaps later — it could have been a very major incident to the thirty or so people in that shelter on that Sunday night.
Laurie Britton.

PS On a lighter note — a couple of raids later found Mother and I sitting under the stairs whilst Father was keeping an eye out for incendiary bombs on the house. I became very confused when I thought I heard Father say “Mr Hale (who lived a few doors away) was in our garden” . What is he doing there? I thought, - the light dawned when Father repeated “It is like hell out there!”

© Copyright of content contributed to this Archive rests with the author. Find out how you can use this.

This story has been placed in the following categories.

Most of the content on this site is created by our users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of any external sites referenced. In the event that you consider anything on this page to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please click here. For any other comments, please Contact Us.

Trade Union Notes

Source: Socialist Appeal, Vol. 4 No. 47, 23 November 1940, p. 2..
Transcription & Mark-up: Einde O’ Callaghan for the Encyclopaedia of Trotskyism On-Line (ETOL).

The membership of the Steel Workers Organizing Committee, CIO, is increasing at a rapid rate with the present figure the largest since the defeat in Little Steel. This organization presents an imposing structure in an important basic industry, but it is a union of unknown strength which has not been thoroughly tested in struggle.

Its main contracts &ndash U.S.Steel, etc. &ndash have been obtained without a fight. The strike in Little Steel was poorly led and did not put the union to a decisive test of its strength. The main strategy of the strike was dependence on governmental agencies. The official leadership of the SWOC, learning little from this defeat, lias continued to base its key policy on the hope of assistance from the government.

Close to 1929 Peak

The rise in membership of the SWOC is due in part to increased production and the resultant pickup in employment. Steel output is now close to the 1929 peak and there is a big back log of orders, knottier important factor which is swelling the ranks of the SWOC is the rise in militancy among the workers.

There have been an increasing number of stoppages involving crews, whole departments and occasionally an entire plant.

A recent job action at the Lackawanna (Bethlehem) plant in Buffalo is a typical example of this new militancy. A furnace crew sent a committee in to see the management on a grievance. The demands of the crew were refused and the committee was given fifteen minutes to get back on the job &ndash or else.

Spread Like Wild Fire

When the committee reported back to the crew, the news of the management&rsquos attitude spread like wildfire among the men and before the fifteen minute deadline had elapsed the entire department of more than 600 men had walked out of the plant. The company officials waited a while for the workers to send in a committee. When this was not done, the bosses soon came out on the street to innocently ask what was wrong. They were told in plain language and it took only a few minutes to straighten out the grievance which the management had refused even to discuss a short time before.

Symptomatic Action

These militant actions are symptomatic and they are increasing in size and number. But the trend is only just developing it has not yet reached into all the corners of the industry. Some workers take comfort from the feeling that there is plenty of work. They remember the past periods of heavy unemployment but try to kid themselves into thinking that this boom will last. They ignore the fact that it is based on preparations for war and not of any improvement in the internal economy of the country. They close their eyes to the dangers of the mountain of grievances that is piling up, especially the violations of the 40 hour week. Other workers are much disturbed over the increasing arrogance of the corporations but hesitate to act because of lack of confidence in the SWOC leadership.

Tried Curbing Action

Prior to the last few weeks, the SWOC officialdom sought to curb &ldquounauthorized&rdquo job actions by the steel workers. They sometimes used quite drastic methods to do this. However, the sweeping changes in the whole situation in steel have forced a partial change in official policy. Today the SWOC staff is to a certain degree Implementing the spontaneous job actions of the steel workers.

Not long ago the U.S. Steel, for example, was often in a position to use the. workers against the SWOC staff. The corporation would admit violations of the contract only to defy the union to do anything about it. They were confident that the employees would not back up the union officials. Today this situation has reversed itself. The workers in U.S. Steel,, as well as in other plants, are becoming more militant. The corporations now often feel constrained to make an appeal to the SWOC staff against the workers. Generally the staff has sided with the workers in recent cases.

A Partial Adaptation

However, the new policy of the SWOC leadership is only a partial adaptation to the changing conditions. The main objective of the new militancy in the leadership seems to be an increase in membership not a fight through these methods for fundamental improvement of employment conditions in the steel industry. There is little evidence to indicate that they have turned towards trade union action to get contracts.

Undismayed by the rebuff from the administration in the issuance of war contracts to Bethlehem Steel and other violators of labor legislation, the SWOC general staff still expects to get conditions for the steel workers as a gift from the government.

Further than this, the SWOC still has a representative functioning on the so-called &ldquoNational Defense Committee&rdquo and has thus, continued to lend this committee authority in the eyes of the steel workers.

Violate Labor Laws

Certainly the steel corporations will not take such a union leadership very seriously. The corporations violate the labor laws and still they get war contracts. And the leaders of the union of their employees stay on the Committee which awards contracts under such a flagrant anti-labor policy. Since the SWOC was pushed around with such ease in the question of letting war contracts, the government will not take very seriously its demand for union contracts with the steel corporations.

Problem of Leadership

A growing section of the SWOC membership is beginning to realize the impossibility of the present official policy. The demand is spreading: &ldquoAll union officials off the so-called National Defense Committee.&rdquo

The first responsibility of the union leadership is to fight for the rights of the membership. All possible pressure should be brought upon the government to enforce labor legislation, but the SWOC cannot rely upon the government to get union contracts from the steel corporations. The first and most reliable weapon in this fight is trade union action.

An ever-larger number of the steel workers are becoming aware of this fact. The main problem today is one of leadership.

This Day in History: Nov. 24

D. B. Cooper: Who is the mystery man?

Here’s a look at the story of D. B. Cooper, the man who hijacked a flight in 1971, parachuted out and was never heard from again.

On this day, Nov. 24 .

1971: A hijacker calling himself “Dan Cooper” (but who would become popularly known as “D.B. Cooper”) parachutes from a Northwest Orient Airlines 727 over the Pacific Northwest after receiving $200,000 in ransom his fate remains unknown.

  • 1859: Charles Darwin publishes "On the Origin of Species," which explains his theory of evolution by means of natural selection.
  • 1917: Nine members of the Milwaukee police department and two civilians are killed when a bomb explodes inside a police station. (The suspicious-looking package was brought to the station by a local resident after it was discovered outside a church anarchists were suspected, but the culprits were never caught.)
  • 1941: The U.S. Supreme Court, in Edwards v. California, unanimously strikes down a California law prohibiting people from bringing impoverished nonresidents into the state.
  • 1944: During World War II, U.S. bombers based on Saipan attack Tokyo in the first raid against the Japanese capital by land-based planes.
  • 1947: A group of writers, producers and directors that became known as the “Hollywood Ten” is cited for contempt of Congress for refusing to answer questions about alleged Communist influence in the movie industry.
  • 1947: John Steinbeck’s novel “The Pearl” is first published.
  • 1963: Jack Ruby shoots and mortally wounds Lee Harvey Oswald, the accused assassin of President John F. Kennedy, on live television.
  • 1969: Apollo 12 splashes down safely in the Pacific.
  • 1985: The hijacking of an Egyptair jetliner parked on the ground in Malta ends violently as Egyptian commandos storm the plane. Fifty-eight people die in the raid, in addition to two others killed by the hijackers.
  • 1987: The United States and the Soviet Union agree on terms to scrap shorter- and medium-range missiles. (The Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty would be signed by President Ronald Reagan and Soviet leader Mikhail S. Gorbachev the following month.)

In this July 20, 1986 file photo, Queen lead singer Freddie Mercury performs in Germany. (AP Photo/Marco Arndt, File)

Learn More

  • View more images of the island. Search the Library of Congress collections containing photographs on the term Santa Catalina. Detroit Publishing Company and Panoramic Photographs contain photographs of the island’s early resort days.
  • A 1720 map of California by Nicolas de Fer is available through Discovery and Exploration, a section of the Maps Collections. Zoom in on the cluster of islands to see the Isla d. Sa. Catalina — Santa Catalina Island.

Damage costs, fatalities, and forecasts

Somewhere between 160 and 353 people perished in the storm (depending on source). The insured damage costs reached $66.7 million in 1950 dollars, or about $680 million in 2018 dollars. This was the costliest storm of any kind (including hurricanes) for U.S. insurance companies at the time.

One positive side to the storm was that it was used as a test case for the nascent use of weather modeling of the atmosphere. The first numerical weather model forecast was carried out just months before the November 1950 event. “This storm became a popular case study, because it brought unusually severe weather and had not been well predicted in real time,” noted Peter Lynch in a review of the first numerical weather forecasts (see the January 2008 issue of the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society).

Interestingly, a group of researchers led by NOAA’s Robert Kistler carried out a retroactive forecast of the 1950 storm in 2000 and found evidence that “this historic storm was actually quite predictable.” As reported in the February 2001 issue of BAMS, “The rather high predictability of this historic storm is confirmed by the fact that all forecasts with lead times from 4.5 days to 1 day verifying on the same day show good agreement in its prediction.” One can only imagine the hype a storm as extreme as this one would generate if it were to arrive today with four days of advance notice!

Christopher C. Burt
Weather Historian

The Weather Company’s primary journalistic mission is to report on breaking weather news, the environment and the importance of science to our lives. This story does not necessarily represent the position of our parent company, IBM.


  1. Quirin

    Yes indeed. And I ran into this.

  2. Joosep

    You are not right. I'm sure. I can defend my position. Email me at PM, we will talk.

  3. Phuc

    I congratulate, the admirable message

  4. Vujin

    It is interesting. Please tell me - where can I read about this?

  5. Toll

    The important and timely answer

Write a message